Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

On Twitter

Follow Me on Bloglovin

Follow

WELCOME

Welcome to my Christmas blog. If you arrived here from my other blog, Gracenotes For Today then you already know all about my love for cardmaking, home dec items, sewing projects and graphic design.

This site will host anything with a Christmas theme, either NEW or that was previously on the Gracenotes For Today site. Also, to the above list, I will include some of my poems that are perfect for use with cardmaking.

I'm so happy you decided to drop by. Please feel free to comment on anything you see here that inspires you.

~ Grace

Don't Miss the Others

The "Popular Posts" list below is automatically generated by the number of visits these postings receive.

To see more cards, check out Cards by Type or Cards by Cartridge Used in the right sidebar.
Powered by Blogger.

Grace Notes

Grace Notes
Visit My Regular Site
November 23, 2011

Happy Holly Days ~ Using One of My Free Graphics




2 cards made using my graphics
These two cards are designed using one of the graphics I offer here at It's All About Christmas. I made these cards to give you an idea of what you can do with these images.

The cards are 5-1/2 x 4-1/4 with a white base.

Happy Holly Days graphic by Grace Baxter
Printed Tags
Using the Graphic
I printed several graphics at once, using a table layout in Word. Then I printed a sheet of this one graphic, copying it a few times in Word.

My Technique: Printing on Shapes


After printing in draft mode, I now had a map of where to place my cut frames. These were done on the Gypsy and shadow pieces were cut from black at the same time. The frame I chose is from A Child's Year but you could use any frame you like. There are so many good ones.

To get the printing onto these cut pieces, I use double-sided Scotch tape that is easily removed after printing. This works very well in holding the pieces in place while they go through the printer. I have done this trick many times with my Epson 835 printer. You might want to test your printer on just one graphic before trying several on a page.

red and white Happy Holly Days card
Red and White Card
I punched a wide border, leaving a 1-inch plain section. This is where I embossed the winter house. Then I glittered the trees and house with MS glitter. The pics don't clearly show the sparkle but believe me, it shines!

By the way, I can't take credit for planning to leave a wide enough border to emboss. I had punched one long piece quite awhile ago, while testing my new punch. It just so happened that I left an inch on the other side. Another one of those happy accidents. Some call it "serendipity" when that happens. I call it a blessing yet to be discovered.

Holly Card
Using the same white base and inside verse as the card above, this card made up quickly. The holly paper is an 8-1/2 x 11" sheet, easily cut into four.
Holly card featuring graphic by Grace Baxter

These cards made up so quickly, I almost felt guilty for not spending much time on them. The hardest part was already done in creating the graphic.

inside holly card
Inside
I composed the verse for the inside, and in Word created a text box placing it in just the right spot. Then I added small holly graphics to coordinate with the card fronts.

closeup, Happy Holly Days assembled sentiment
About This Graphic
I have never liked the phrase, "Happy Holidays". Being Canadian, that always seemed like a strange thing to say. You see, we celebrate our Thanksgiving in October, so by Christmas, it's... well, (like the title of my blog says) "It's All About Christmas". If someone says "Happy Holidays" to me, it sounds like a cop out. I always want to ask, "which holiday -- Groundhog Day? Or Valentines? No, no. In Canada, we don't have to guess about which holiday we are celebrating. For Christians, it is Christmas and only Christmas." And of course, our Jewish friends would celebrate Hanukkah, with all of their own traditions. As Christians, we know that Jesus came from Jewish lineage and He is our Saviour, too. He is the reason for the season, as they say.

So how did I come up with the wording for this graphic? I assure you, it was not so as to be politically correct. Holly Days are all about festivities and decorating for Christmas. And all the days leading up to and including Christmas, are Holly Days. It's my new way of saying "Deck the halls". Get it? Love it! So in this context, I am okay with "Happy Holly Days" as it differentiates itself from the secularism of a celebration bereft of Christian values. I just wanted to clear that up.

So help yourself to the Happy Holly Days graphic on my Downloads page in Collection #2, and see what you can do with it. It's a fair size, so I have scaled it down somewhat for this card. I wanted to be generous with these graphics so you would have flexability in how you could use them. There is SO much fun to be had!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Because of abuse spamming, comments are now being moderated. Legitimate comments will appear after validation. I still love hearing from you!

FUN MAIL!

Who doesn't love getting fun and free items in their mailbox? Follow me by Email and you'll receive notice of each new posting as soon as it happens! Enter your email address in the box below.

About Me

Faithful Followers